Archinect
anchor

Is there a good time to start IDP as a grad student?

batman

im a grad student now. im curious - given the renewal fees and policies, is there a smart time to start IDP or is anytime a good time start IDP?

ummer is coming up and I won't be working for a firm, but instead ll be in school. can i still get a large amount of IDP hours without working for a firm?

May 25, 14 8:18 pm
Beepbeep

As soon as you can start.

May 25, 14 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
archiaspirations
No time like the present !

Since it requires the amount of hours it does, the sooner you start the better. And while you can't earn IDP through classes (as far as I'm aware) you can earn them through volunteering and the like.

There is an IDP guidebook online in PDF form that has all the guidelines and can be super helpful.

Hope this is what you were looking for.

(Also, I highly recommend Habitat for Humanity for volunteering. It's relevant to the field and you get to help people out !)
May 25, 14 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
batman

I'm aware of the guideline and the Emerging Professional Companion (EPC) too!

just reading it and thought maybe if there was a strategic time to start the IDP. I know signing up early as you can is ideal, but considering its $100 (which is a lot for a student) and renewal fees will play a factor. 

I guess now is then I need to find a mentor/IDP supervisor to help me sign off the EPC during school since the EPC can be completed out of work?

May 25, 14 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
It is best to start early. Paying the fees will motivate you to get it done. Architecture school is expensive so the profession is any cheaper.
May 26, 14 10:40 am  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

Also you can take the Professional Practice Monogram for free and get 16 hours. Once you register you will see a link to take it in your NCARB.

May 26, 14 10:56 am  · 
 · 
archmart

Does anybody know if you have to be registered with AIA to be able to take the Professional Practice Monogram? It's asking me for the AIA number, but still is letting me take the quiz.

Oct 2, 14 7:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: