Archinect
anchor

Is the AA worth it?

Pan90

Hello all,

I am lucky enough to have been accepted to the AA for MARCH II, unfortunately though without a scholarship.

I graduate this June from The University of Edinburgh which also has a renowned architecture program that keeps going strong (third best in the UK this year) but I think a change of environment and perspective will do me good. Architecture schools tend to have a very specific attitude and approach to architecture and I do not really want my education to be one-dimensional.

However, the AA (and life in London) is immensely expensive. Of course I will do my best to do great in 1st year so that I get a bursary for the 2nd year. I will also have to get a Student Loan. My family may be able to afford it but it won't be easy. 

It is definitely an investment. My thought is that if I have two world-renowned universities in my CV will definitely have an impact on my career and that I will be able to make some connections in the AA. It is also a dream of mine to be able to work and live in the US sometime - where the AA is well-known.

What are your thoughts on this? Is the AA worth all the hassle?

Thank you in advance for your replies! 

May 24, 14 11:36 am
archinet

I am not so sure the AA will do much for you in the US....typically american's favour ivy league graduates. I heard good things about the University of Edinburgh. Personally I think the tuition at the AA is astronomical and I am not sure if it is worth it. Also not sure the AA is what it used to be. 

May 24, 14 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
Medians

The AA is not as progressive, as forward thinking, as relevant as they were in the 60's and 70's. They are no longer the school that it was which made the AA the AA. Without a scholarship, there are far better choices that cost a similar amount to the AA. If you wish to be international and live and work abroad outside of the UK, then you should look at American Ivy League schools or progressive schools such as SCI-Arc or The Angewandte in Vienna. The Angewandte being free if accepted and the other schools offer a lot of scholarship funds.

May 24, 14 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
TED

Pan90, Assume you mean AADip Part 2 which is not a Master's award but an undergrad award.  Did you do the 3 years or 4 up there?

If you want to go to the US, the AA gives you the most possibility of any UK school.

As an american who has taught at 3 US universities and visited many others and have taught at 4 UK school and attended 3 including the AA for my Masters,  UK PG schools are far better than anything on offer in the US including the top ivies - UK schools are far more critical in their approach to architecture - US schools at the very top end tend to have more 'kit' and toys but this has made many of the Unis instrumental to those machines.

While at the AA take it all in - don't just focus on the drawing in front of you. Live within a bike journey to bedford square and that will cut down big cost -

May 25, 14 6:07 am  · 
 · 
apricot

Will a AADip Part 2 graduate be eligible to apply for a PhD in Architecture?

May 31, 17 2:28 am  · 
 · 
TED

Part 2 programmes in UK and US are generally not good training for PhD study as they focus on professional criteria and less about developing research skills or your interest. Many do go onto PhD after a part 2 alone so it is possible. PhDs entry criteria are very specific to Uni you apply to - if in the UK would suggest a 3+1 route where you do a 1 year masters then do a PhD.

May 31, 17 3:18 am  · 
 · 
apricot

Thanks for your reply

Jun 10, 17 11:41 am  · 
 · 
Pan90

Dear TED,

Thank you so much for your reply. My gut says to go to the AA - their approach to architecture is closer to my interests as well.

I will live within 5 minute walking distance to the AA do this will save me a lot of money :)

And yes, I meant the AADip Part 2. Hopefully a masters degree in US after I work for some years.

May 25, 14 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
pauplish

Sorry to intrude into this thread. But, I have a similar query on relevance of AA and its name. I am very confused between AA - MSc Emtech or CCA, San Francisco -Advanced architecture digital technology.  I hope your opinions can help me make my mind. 
Thanks 

May 25, 14 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
TED

Has much more to do with what you plan to do - Pan90 doing a Part 2 - postgrad programmes like Emtech/CCA are different.

May 25, 14 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
mctDes

I'm in a similar situation choosing between AA Part 2 and GSAPP March 1.

After initial researches I find that GSAPP is very much focused on buildings, offering many courses on specific things on the topic of designing buildings, mainly with the optimistic attitude towards technology.

I understand after 2 years of diploma at the AA, I could end up not designing any building at all, depends on the unit. 

If TED you can give a more comprehensive comparison it would be great. Thanks!

May 26, 14 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
TED

Make your choice on where you might wish to practice after studies. If you wish to live in US go to GSAPP. In US many enter a MArch programme without any prior experience in architecture - in the UK where it is a requirement you have some 1st degree in architecture, part 2s tend to be more proactive and experimental - about how you see the world. Many studios in AA do buildings -

May 31, 17 3:21 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: