Archinect
anchor

crit my portfolio?

hsiuchi

Hi everyone,

Wondering if can gather some honest feedback about my portfolio? I'm one job in after graduation and looking for a second one. My concern is that my portfolio has too many conceptual projects and representations, and no real strong architectural project as an anchor. I know thats definitely something I need to work on but in the mean time please let me know what else I should change? 

I've also been slightly customizing each portfolio submission to each firm I apply to, so below are the actual packages I've sent out with the firm's name and cover letter in the portfolio. In some cases I also had a private web link for them. I'm attaching two different applications below, I'd like to know which methods you guys think would be the best, or if simply attaching it to the email is the way to go. 

A simple pdf download HERE

A private weblink: http://sandywang.tumblr.com/portfolio_tezuka

Thanks everyone.

Sandy

May 23, 14 4:44 pm
BulgarBlogger

Your interests are in architecture yet the first page of the real content of your portfolio is labeled "Materials". 

Your portfolio looks like scrambled eggs: the dish may taste good, but you have no idea what you're looking at until the flavors hit your taste buds. You obviously have talent, but the way you've presented your work is all over the place. Little thoughts here and there are less useful than a few good images/diagrams/renderings/drawings that really describe what the project is about. 

Eliminate the paragraphs of writing. Reviewers of your portfolio won't have time to read anything. They'll flip through a few pages and put it in either the "yes" or the "no" pile. If they are looking for a designer, they'll review the portfolios in the "yes" pile again in more detail. If they are looking for a junior staff person, they'll review your portfolio to see if the skills you have demonstrated in your portfolio align with the demands of the office; i.e. your rendering skills, presentation skills, etc. Either way, you must (and I emphasize the "must") present your work in a way that screams clarity... 

May 24, 14 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

If text is so bad why do architecture firms use it in their own portfolios...

May 25, 14 5:20 am  · 
 · 
batman

just at first glimpse its a well put together portfolio. I have no idea what BulgarBLogger is talking about.

It does seem like a good graduate application portfolio, but i think its fine. 

May 25, 14 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
hsiuchi

Thanks everyone for the responses so far! Taking it all to heart and will be re-evaluating my work for a new round of applications.

I do agree with batman's sentiment (never though I'd type that in a sentence) that it seems like a graduate application portfolio, thats one of my biggest concern and something I'm working on by entering competitions and such. The reason why its a little all over the place is because my background and experiences are a little all over the place. And the firms I'm targeting are also ones that are more multidisciplinary and hopefully will see potential in my jumble of odd skills. Hopefully. (for example I have aspirations to work for firms like Olafur Eliasson among others)

But right now I just need to get hired to gain experience, so I need a portfolio that can also appeal to straight up architecture firms as well.

Thanks again, and keep them comments coming!

May 25, 14 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Batman, the content is totally disorganized. You have small and scattered images that seem like they don't relate to each other at all...

Suggestion to the OP:

Pretend that your are incapable of speaking or writing. Try to compose the content on your pages in a way that requires little or no words (the words you do use, should be CRITICAL to your explanation). Avoid using arrows. Use black and white (and/or gray tones) for your drawings and minimal color only to graphically relate similar elements on one drawing to another. 

May 25, 14 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Another general comment:

be true to yourself... Dont't use websites like this: http://www.alexhogrefe.com/tutorials to create your renderings/collages. That is only one person's take on what his work should look like...

his work should not become the new "standard", otherwise it won't be individual. It will be your work with a touch of alex hogrefe...

May 25, 14 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
hsiuchi

I've never done a render tutorial...they really are from my own trial and errors...are they not good?

May 25, 14 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

The comment was general... Not about your renderings... 

The renderings are good, but on some pages, too small...

May 25, 14 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
hsiuchi

I see, thanks so much for all the suggestions! will definitely continue to work on them!

May 26, 14 1:34 am  · 
 · 
snail

You have buildings, you just need to move them to the front of your portfolio. Right now your first building is on page 13-14. When I applied for jobs my "teaser" portfolio (the one which I sent out in an email) was 8 pages, although I still took my full (40-50 page) portfolio to the interview. You should try to cut yours down to at least the same amount; I still think that my teaser is too long.

Your job application text is equally long-winded, and you should cut it at least in half; I'm not sure if I am an expert, but I would typically try to start my applications with a sentence specifically describing what I could contribute to their firm and/or their specific job opportunity, and then introduce myself and where I went to school etc. You need to grab their attention in the beginning. Worst of all, sentences like "My educational trajectory has been quite varied up to this point" make you sound indecisive on top of adding to the amount of text which the reviewers have to read.

I would also suggest cutting your resume down to one page (something which is generally assumed to be mandatory for everyone but people applying for very senior positions) and more consciously designing it. I think that you could benefit from doing some more general research on how to apply for any job.

May 27, 14 5:22 am  · 
 · 
hsiuchi

Thanks for the comments snail I'll try to cut it down some more.

I already have a one page resume. The portfolio portion itself already has both the cv and the resume in it, but I've been accompanying the portfolio with a regular letter size sheet for filing purposes (I've heard some firms prefer for that information to be easily printable/fileable). But maybe I should stop sending those out it does add to the long-windedness. 

May 27, 14 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
Medians

I don't think the text is overbearing, it doesn't get in the way and showcases their is an understanding of the project if they wish to read it for that project.

May 30, 14 3:47 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

I am a 40 year career employer (retired now) and I’ve looked at your stuff, particularly the cover. I’m looking…what do I get Sandy? Painting a picture of yourself, somewhat, tells me about you but to be frank I’m looking for a round peg for MY round hole. At your intern-level your cover needs to be simpler, very direct and specific in what you can do for me. You said you were tailoring somewhat, tailor a lot by using short bullet points to hit me with what you can do for me.

Using words like “Vessel” “Trajectory”, “Varied”, “Journey” “Explorations” sounds drifty to me and firms are filled with too much drift as it is. Your complements about the firm will be appreciated but don’t critique with how you find their work, it can be misconstrued.

I’ve seen hundreds of portfolios from recent grads and while I like yours a lot and it shows you have real talent I blew though it in about 15 seconds looking for something that fit me. At your stage you really don’t have a resume, the cover is all you’ve got and I think you should start over and OCD the cover. Don’t use words like “Endeavor” or “Lead-Me”, from an employers point of view at an interview it’s about their endeavor not yours and they want to know where you will lead them not them lead you.

Sorry to sound so harsh but architecture is a business too, your portfolio speaks to the architecture your cover needs to speak to the business. Make it sharp, to the point and knock it out-of-the-park!

Good luck!

Aug 20, 14 6:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: