Rapid City, SD
The Rapid City Garage is significant to the commercial history of the area. Built in 1911 to be the first fireproof garage in the city, the building housed an early auto dealership, Canfield and Holcomb. The building has openings for large entry doors, reinforced floors and a ramp to the basement. Originally used for auto and parts storage, the basement retains its early elements of low ceiling, car ramp, and remnants of an exterior staircase. The first floor contains a large open space, reflecting its original use as an automobile showroom and repair garage. The second floor contains two hallways dividing a series of rooms that were part of a hotel and eventually, the first commercial nursing home in Rapid City.
More recently, a series of drinking establishments left the location with an unsavory atmosphere. Currently underway, the first phase of renovation seeks to reverse the building’s bad reputation. The main floor is being remodeled into an upscale restaurant and bar, the main entrance is being moved to Main Street, and the exterior is being restored to its original design. The Main Street entrance will feature functioning carriage doors that honor the original design. All interior partitions will be removed to expose the original brick and stone work, as well as the structural wood columns, haunches and trusses.
Location: Rapid City, SD, US