Rapid City, SD
The Rapid City Garage is significant to the commercial history of the area. Built in 1911 to be the first fireproof garage in the city, the building housed an early auto dealership, Canfield and Holcomb. The first floor has been recently remodeled into an upscale restaurant and bar, and future plans involve renovating the second floor into office space.
The patio is designed to go well with the historic fabric of the building and details have been added to provide a “tiki” feel to the space. A roof is attached to the single-story façade, to provide a covered extension for the inside dining. The roof will is made of exposed wood framing and corrugated metal panels with a rusted finish.
A self-standing bar enhances the reuse of the building. It is constructed using split-faced block and a poured concrete countertop with wood columns supporting an exposed wood frame and corrugated metal roof.
Location: Rapid City, SD, US