Los Angeles, CA
As a contemporary metaphor using the traditional New England "barn & silo" building forms, RFA’s design transforms the original equipment & maintenance barn with caretaker’s quarters into a new garcious 11,000 SF Guesthouse, which is set privately in the rolling and wooded landscape on 230 A. along the West River in Weston, VT.
• Contrasting the verdant landscape, the Guesthouse is sited overlooking the tranquil landscape of meadow, pond and river frontage.
• The "silo & barn" forms are accented in white painted cedar siding, white standing seam metal roof and exposed concrete base/retaining walls.
• Large punched windows are composed throughout to optimize daylight and views.
• New living/family room, library/den, powder room and entry hall with adjacent children’s bedrooms replace the former caretaker's quarters and equipment storage areas.
• New maple flooring, Solnhofen limestone pavers, black granite cantilievered fireplace hearth and white Corian counters accent the pristine white interior.
• A future attic sleeping loft/playroom is planned with a spiral stair access from the entry hall.
• New wing extends from the entry hall with 2 guest bedroom suites, master bedroom suite with its adjacent sunroom situated in the 2nd silo.
• An exterior concrete stair leads from the master sunroom down to the garden below with paths onto the meadow & woodland.
Location: Weston, VT, US