Apr '10 - Feb '14
Song: The Rabbit by Miike Snow
Place: Mom's House in McAllen, TX
Love the girl's glass at 1:32
Jealous of the little boy with facial hair...I can't grow any :(
I've been trolling the archinect 2011 M.Arch applicant forum since I was vocalizing my frustrations, concerns, and worries last year. There were the same characters as well but didn't have the overall worry of the recession hanging in the air. There are some remnant feelings, but last year was simply pandemonium- everyone was relying on grad school as their ticket out of the professional chaos.
I've created a cast of characters when it comes to these forums. I think we can find ourselves in them.
1)The experienced naysayer- She warns the kids out of architecture. It is hard/unrewarding/painful/under-appreciated, etc. Wants everyone else out of the field (maybe because she didn't find success herself). How much money is considered a lot if you want to make loads of cash? I come from a low-middle class family so anything over $60 would be nice. Do people think that over $120k is a lot of money? I think that's a HUGE INCOME.
2) The gloater - Loves to update everyone about their portfolios, grades, LOR, undergrad education, hook-ups to the schools (I was guilty for this). She just posts about herself and doesn't provide helpful criticism for others.
3) The hopeful outsider - Interested in architecture but doesn't come from architecture degree. Obsessed with the idea that they're an outsider and have an idealized idea of the architecture world. Newsflash: It's not what you think, it's much more boring. Half attempt to make architectural drawings, but fail because it's not about creating floor plans. The others are able to translate their background into the architecture realm which is the way to go.
4) The overachiever - Applied to 12 programs including: GSD, GSAPP, YSOA, PennDesign, Sci-Arc, AA, Bartlett, Princeton, Cornell, UCLA, and every other school under the sun. Her unfocus is her undoing. Study the schools, find out what kind of culture you're looking for, and take it from there. You're just creating bloat, that's why Americans are so fat.
5) The angry reject- Yeah you hellraiser! Just kidding
6) The perfect asian girl - Great grades, great portfolio, really sweet, nonabrasive, helpful, and kind. I wish I was an asian girl.
7) The obsessed - checks the forum every 5-10 minutes to check updates. Replies to everyone's reply of a reply. Her mind only thinks about getting into programs. Knows the URL for every architecture website by heart. Has over 15 extra copies of their portfolio in their room.
I can't wait to see how crazy the forum gets when replies are sent out. Good luck to everyone! Especially those from my undergrad alma mater. GO UT Arlington! I got props from a 2011 commiserator when he posted about where students went after graduating. arquiteuthis on page 3.