Our second project, which was a house in a 7.5' gap between two existing gable-roofed houses, is finished. It was great to see what everyone came up with; this project required formal invention much more than the first one, which was more analytical, so there was a great deal of eye-candy on people's desks and at the final review.
I'll try to get permissions and files so I can share text and images from other people's projects here, too (any classmates reading this, please email me with your stuff if you're willing), but for now mine will have to do.
Although we also wrote longer descriptions, we were asked to encapsulate our design intentions in a 144 character statement, as a way to guide our work in the project's second week. I wrote: "When oriented such that one moves vertically into, through, and out of a mass, how can passage through a dwelling be marked by light?" My line weights (among many other things) leave many things to be desired, but I was happy enough with the result for now.
Here it is--thanks for reading/looking!
Floorplans, from basement (shown at the bottom) to the roof garden/pavillion (shown at the top).
A monolithic barrier, which you pass under to enter.
Model. This is the back of the house.
Model, with the adjoining existing house removed.
Model rearranged by floor.
Lectures and exhibitions, life in the trays, happenings around Cambridge...and once in a while, some studio and course work. Please note that all live blogs are abridged and approximate. If you want to see exactly what happened, in most cases a video of the event is posted online by the event's hosts. If you have concerns about how you are quoted, please contact me via Archinect's email.