New Jersey Institute of Technology (Gene)

The Soundtrack of Studio

PodZilla Apr 5 '09 6

I'm sitting here doing some mundane cad/rhino/grasshopper work for what will probably be the billionth time this semester, listening to some music on my headphones. This is making me wonder... what constitutes "studio music"?

My playlists tend to be erratic at best, spanning a lot of artists and genres. While my music library is not the largest (~4300 songs), I like to think it's pretty diverse. I have largely everything from Coltrane to King Crimson, to The Who & Lou Reed, to Galactic & Soulive... the list goes on. There are some genres I don't like (Rap, Metal, Country (but I LOVE bluegrass... go figure)) but largely I'm up for anything.

For me, the best studio music depends on what you're doing. For design/thinking work, I like more instrumental jazz or classical, played softly on speakers. There's this great band called Zilla (ironically not where my screename comes from) that does completely improvised live music, with just a drummer, bassist and hammered dulcimer player on stage. It makes for some great background music and I'm fairly certain a pretty engaging live experience. More good thinking instrumentals come from bands like Fujiya & Miyagi, Critters Buggin', Stereolab, Garage A Trois and Kraftwerk.

When it comes time to really sit down and bust out the CADD work, there's nothing better (in my book) then some hard-driving classic or prog rock. What could be better than a red bull in one hand, a mouse in the other, and "In The Court of the Crimson King" cranked over a sweet pair of Sennheiser HD600's when you're in serious production mode? Maybe some George Thorogood or Nektar... or even The New Deal perhaps.

What are everyone's favorite work songs? Do you prefer headphones or speakers? iTunes, Pandora, or good ol' fashioned FM? Discuss.

• JordanS
      Apr 5, 09 11:57 pm

You ever check out Estradasphere they are really talented and mostly instrumental. Or you can take it back with some Mahavisnu Orchestra. I definitely have been diggin pandora lately while doing studio work. If at home I rock speakers and if in studio I use headphones, unless no one is around.

David CuthbertDavid Cuthbert
      Apr 6, 09 8:23 pm

Digitally Imported usually. Headphones mostly but not when I'm working

_JC
      Apr 6, 09 9:28 pm

headphones definitely...and loud. i switch between my itunes library and rhapsody. my choice of genre is for the most part independent from the studio task at hand and relies more on my mood.

I have something on at any given time, but I love any chance I get to do mindless work so I can focus on the music and less on the thinking.

jmaw
      Apr 8, 09 4:10 am

'Into the Wild' has been the soundtrack of the semester!

Runners up - The Knife, Bob Dylan, Supertramp, Amélie. We usually listen together as a family ... unless someone is watching the season finally of BSG - reluctantly we put our headphones on and listen to Last FM or via bluetooth listen to the same music.

We are also fortunate enough to be in a building that houses musicians - beats itunes any day!

PodZilla
      Apr 9, 09 4:42 pm

_JC- totally with you on the mindless work front. I have a fair enough collection of "chill" music to keep me going during design times, but it runs out fast enough to the point where I need something a bit more energetic and involved to keep going.

Medusa
      Apr 9, 11 1:31 pm

If I'm doing "thinking work", I have to listen to instrumentals or foreign language stuff. Otherwise, my musical tastes are pretty schizophrenic. Listening to Blockhead serves me well for almost any occasion, though.

• PodZilla