Newschool of Architecture and Design (Fabian)

Life on the "Light" Side

difficultfix Oct 23 '08 6

Since I am not in studio I found that I have much more time. With this light load that I have - I have been able to spend most of that free time studying for the LEED exam which I will be passing OCT31 - Yes that’s right passing. With so much free time (not really just feels like it) I have decided to keep myself busy. I am spending more and more time learning Ecotect. My employers are pushing to see how much I can get out of Ecotect. Ecotect seems to be mainly used for daylighting, but the firm where I am at has asked me to investigate the plug-ins that are available for ecotect such as Winair's CFD tool. Being a student this is becoming a great educational experience. One of the best features of Ecotect is that it gives a great visual feed back...Some of the images I am posting our similar to the ones that I have posted previously, but I think they are very cool.
    Images (ecotect/radiance+experimenting w/cfd)

until next time

Fabian

• l8rpeace
      Nov 4, 08 12:21 am

Ecotect seems like a nice time saver for the environmental impact and thorough site investigation for a design. I get a bit lost in your images above, though, after the interior perspectives. What are the images after that measuring?

difficultfix
      Nov 5, 08 1:49 am

l8rpeace

Those Images are showing a CFD anaylsis which is meaasuring airflow
      those images are not good ones, as I was only experimenting with the software at the time.

CFD (computational fluid dynamics) is a usually used to measure air flow. so a good example would be using to see how air travels through a space- possibly for natural ventilation.

Fabian

difficultfix
      Nov 5, 08 2:01 am

Here are some sample images - where you can see how the air flow thru a space (experimental image)

l8rpeace
      Nov 5, 08 11:55 am

Fabian -

Very cool, and I can see more clearly what you've been experimenting with. Can Ecotect do something like wind load/lateral force calculations?

difficultfix
      Nov 5, 08 12:04 pm

l8rpeace

to be honest, I am not sure it can do that. I have not seen anything regarding wind load/lateral force calculations in the Ecotect help index, or export plugins.

I believe Revit Structure might be able to.

Fabian

l8rpeace
      Nov 5, 08 6:23 pm

either way, th images are pretty cool, and doubly so since they actually communicate important imformation. it's not like pretty fluff or anything, so it would be a really positive tool to communicate certain information to clients.

• difficultfix