University of Santo Tomas (Kellyn)

are there anyone from the philippines?

kellynsee Nov 13 '06 11

particularly from UST, UP and the other schools? (sorry i dont know any other schools!) if there are anyone from the philippines, i'd like to refresh this much asked question,

what is filipino architecture for you?

just curious.

nobody's accepting my idea of telling the jury for thesis that the design for my thesis is filipino design since i'm a filipino and i designed it. i can do that RIGHT? even if nobody agrees with me i'm still doing that. haha.

• kirabelle9
      Nov 13, 06 11:04 am

when i was little i used to tell people i was filipino. seriously- i fell in love with lea salonga's voice and then decided that i too was filipino.

but im not. chinese and japanese.

kellynsee
      Nov 13, 06 11:12 am

haha! did anyone buy it tho?

dvdty
      Nov 13, 06 11:42 am

uh, I think you'd have to dig deeper than that.

I doubt that your jury will appreciate that kind of explanation for your design, and if you do that, you're the only who's going to suffer. I suggest you try to analyze whatever design you already have and see if it can be related to anything about Filipino culture. Of course, it would have been infinitely better if you started the design process that way instead of the other way around, but what's done is done I guess.

This is David Ty by the way, cousin of Marie (don't know of you remember me). Currently 4th year in UP Architecture.

dvdty
      Nov 13, 06 11:46 am

uh, I think you'd have to dig deeper than that.

kellynsee
      Nov 13, 06 11:51 am

hey david! i actually thought about that. i'm just starting on the design though but that was just a funny thought i had while we were having out discussion this afternoon. i can already see the jury's blank looks when i give them my reasoning. hahaha! how's up btw?

i thought this evening tht im just using materials to make it filipino.

so what is filipino architecture for you david?

dvdty
      Nov 13, 06 12:08 pm

Well you can try the "iconographic" strategy for Filipino architecture, or you could try something less literal. Respond to climate conditions, cultural needs (e.g. including a "dirty" kitchen into your residential design), and your own personal aesthetics. Using local materials is a good idea too.

No doubt your work is always going to be influenced by external factors though. I guess the strategy is try to filter it through the lens of what is Filipino for you, and then filter it again through your own lens.

Hope that helps..

kellynsee
      Nov 13, 06 12:29 pm

haha thanks. this thesis is turning my brain to mush, i love it tho! when's thesis btw? any plans?

dvdty
      Nov 13, 06 12:45 pm

Thesis is still a year away. As for plans, the Thesis program in UP is being reformatted, so it all depends on what they're giving us to work with..

Mark_M
      Nov 14, 06 6:56 am

Hey kellynsee I'am filipino. Here in the states I can use my heritage to pull ideas out for projects. My exception is that I 'am the "only filipino" not to mention 1 of 2 Asians in the program. I think your jury will be more critical of your design because you are filipino and are in a filipino university. What is filipino architecture? I have been trying to research this and have come to dead ends. Is there anything that iconographs filipino design? Or is good design simply good design regardless of where the ideas are derived from? Thats why i'am trynig to make a strive to go to the motherland and re-learn my culture. Good luck with the design.

kellynsee
      Nov 14, 06 7:04 am

thanks mark m! where are you studying btw? the problem with designing in the Philippines is that no one expects you to design anything that has heritage as the main theme. many strive to do the typical filipino design such as the bahay kubo and such but that creates a million dead ends as you say because you're boxed into an idea. thats just me.

graymansino
      Aug 8, 08 2:18 am
      http://pinoy-architect.tk - pinoy architect/filipino architect community forum

• kellynsee