Sep '06 - Aug '08
More buildings from downtown Detroit. This time, it's the Guardian Building, located in the financial district. This building was designed in 1929 by Smith, Hinchman, and Grylls and renovated in 2000 by SmithGroup.
It was originally the Union Trust Building. This Art Deco masterpiece combines brickwork, glazed tile and terra cotta in new combinations of color, form and texture.
The inside is filled with Italian travertine and black marble floors, and the walls and ceilings are full of mosaic and pewabic tile.
This building was nicknamed "The Cathedral of Finance" when it was built in the late 1920s.
In 1989, the building was declared a national historic landmark, and the interior renovation, completed by SmithGroup, a decendent firm of Smith, Hinchman and Grylls, received awards for its part in continuing the tradition.