Sungil Choi received his Master of Architecture from Washington University in St. Louis in 2009 and his Bachelor of Arts in Urban Planning & Design from the University of Missouri-Kansas City in 2004, to which he transferred from Keimyung University after two years of studying architectural engineering.
He has worked at Korea Hydro & Nuclear Power since 2010 as a client-side project engineer. While there, he traveled to the United Arab Emirates to work at the Barakah nuclear power plant construction site for a year. In 2005, he worked as an architectural designer at LaTona Architects in the United States.
He considers logic, tectonics, and constructability to be preconditions for the development of practicable design. He also takes a deep interest in seeking harmony between the old and the new; and maintaining balance between reality and fantasy.
Korea Hydro & Nuclear Power, Busan, KR, Project Engineer
- Responsible for construction supervision, engineering, and maintenance of nuclear power plant structures and other kinds of buildings.
- Prepare tender documents including construction cost estimates, bill of quantities, drawings, and specifications for repair works and inspection services.
- Participate in evaluating and reviewing all aspects of construction technical documents, design changes, non-conformance reports, progress payments, and other documentation developed by prime contractors.
- Monitor construction activities to ensure that the work is executed in accordance with the design requirements, contract agreements, schedule, and quality standards; and provide technical input and expertise to the work of contractors.
- Worked as an architectural engineer at the construction site of the BNPP Units 1&2 in the United Arab Emirates from 2012 to 2013.
Latona Architects, Kansas City, Missouri, US, Architectural Designer
- Responsible for project design, construction documentation, code analysis, cost estimating, construction observation, and client relations.
- Managed architectural projects and made design decisions regarding building arrangement, spatial organization, material selection, architectural finishing, landscaping, and parking.
- Involved in all phases of architectural design and developed designs from concept to final production through making sketches, models, and drawings.
- Participated in various types of projects including churches, apartments, houses, schools, restaurants, and a car wash.
Washington University in St. Louis, St. Louis, Missouri, US, Master of Architecture
University of Missouri - Kansas City, Kansas City, Missouri, US, BA in Urban Planning & Design