The historic buildings of Dallas’ Parkland Hospital were constructed on this eight-acre site in the Oak Lawn neighborhood in 1915 and 1921. A high-profile capital holdings organization purchased the campus, which recently underwent a restoration and major addition to the landmarked building to serve as their corporate headquarters. The central design challenge was to accommodate the company’s corporate culture (which features a non-hierarchical large room of open desk work stations with modern communications technology) in a new addition which would harmonize with, but not imitate, the original structure. The great room was placed between the arms of the historic building in a highly machined steel, limestone and glass structure, with parking tucked underneath to maintain the integrity and character of the park-like setting. The Dallas Chapter AIA awarded the project with its first-ever Sustainability Award in 2007, and the Greater Dallas Planning Council gave the project an Urban Design Award in 2008.
The project was awarded an AIA Dallas Merit Award in 2011.
Location: Dallas, TX, US