I am an architect in training, a painter, illustrator, graphic designer, photographer, fabric and fashion designer, a carpenter AND a cook. Yes, I like having a lot on my plate except I can't sing or act, but I like to dabble. I enjoy being able to do the things that I do as a solution and as a service to others.
As a responsible environmental designer I have the practical and technical knowledge to create spaces that are safe, efficient and sustainable with economic viability and constituency.
I have the artistic imagination and creative vision to design spaces where my ideas and techniques are represented through form, light, textures, materials, and colours-combine to fulfill aesthetic, spiritual, and cultural needs.
I also have the psychological understanding and ethical practice to craft spaces that fulfill the complex, and sometimes conflicting needs of clients, users, and the community.
I am currently designing and creating and I have just started an MA in Urban Design at Cardiff University which I will be completing in 09/14.
Psalmist Youth Project, Toronto, ON, CA, Creative Designer
As a creative designer I was responsible for content related design decisions, including marketing materials, digital artwork, and copy.
IBI Group, Toronto, ON, CA, Architectural/Landscape Designer
• Sketched building footprints to illustrate how buildings must be positioned to conform with building codes and regulations.
• Prepared architectural drawings, showing internal and external layouts of the buildings.
• Analyzed architects' or other designers' concepts, and prepared preliminary sketches and detailed instructions.
• Interpreted client briefs, prepared and developed sketch plans for client approval.
• Calculated the quantity and quality of materials needed, material and labour costs and project completion dates.
• IBI Group – Kitchener Streetscape – Kitchener, Ontario
• IBI Group – King Liberty: Liberty Towers & Bliss Condominiums – Toronto
• IBI Group – York Rapid Transit Plan/ VIVA – York Region, Ontario
• IBI Group – City of Toronto Coordinated Streetscape Furniture Program – Toronto
• IBI Group – Centro (Condos & Townhouses) – Toronto, Ontario
Welsh School of Architecture, Cardiff University, Cardiff, GB, Masters, MA Urban Design
The MA Urban Design uses design practice, theory, development and control practices to inform design processes, and uses studio teaching focused on local development possibilities to develop creative, practical and sustainable solutions to a range of typical urban design problems.
OCAD University, Toronto, ON, CA, Bachelors, Environmental Design
OCADU's Environmental Design program focuses on the design of expressive and humane interior and architectural space.
The fourth-year thesis studio focuses on a more complex project corresponding to a student's particular values and interests. This core curriculum is supported by a broad base of design theory, material and technology, drawing, computer and graphic presentation, and professional practice course material.
See here for my thesis: http://www.ocadued2013.com/YAW-TONY-ASANTE
The program is also recognized by the Association of Registered Interior Designers of Ontario.
Sheridan College, Brampton, ON, CA, Architectural Technology
Sheridan's Architectural Technology program is accredited by the Canadian Technology Accreditation Board (CTAB).
Developed in close cooperation with industry, Sheridan's project-based curriculum mirrors the architectural technology workplace. As a student of this program I acquired a unique blend of job-ready creative and applied skills, including:
2D and 3D Computer-aided design and Drafting
Building Information Modeling
Preparation of contract documents and specs
Beyond The Grid: Design Competition, 1st Place
Winning entry for an off-grid shelter design in a mixed climate. This designed utilized solar energy, passive cooling and indoor food production.